Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Signs that I am Back in Canada

After a long drive to the airport leaving at 5 am - most of the time in a Gravol induced haze (I get car sick), one wrong turn and a drop off at the wrong gate with a struggle through what must be the most crowded airport on a Saturday at 9 am. We were finally in the line to get through security to go home. Wearing comfy sweats that we will need to burn on landing and armed with empty water bottles to drink when through security, a good book and a fresh pen for catching up on 6 days of my written journal we are truly ready to leave this lovely place behind.

Here are some things that occured to me as we were and after we had landed in Toronto.
  • Airplane annoucements telling us that we would have to sprint to our connections due to the lateness of our arrival were in English first and then French. As opposed to the announcements through the flight that the entertainment system was not working that necessitated a 30 minute shut down occuring first in French and then in English (three times before they just gave up and told us to read a book).
  • The only person confused about where to go next was a young lady who spoke only French and could find no bilingual person at the gate to explain where to run to at breakneck speed for her connection to MooseJaw (poor girl)
  • There were 22 customs agents ready to receive JUST our flight as opposed to the ONE agent that checked the passports of 500 people getting on 3 different flights in Paris (that is a staffing model, boy)
  • The uniforms of the Airport staff did not have the flair that Hermes Scarfs and Dior jackets had in Paris. We had entered frumpville and I saw the shoes to prove it.
  • Tim Hortons waiting for me as soon as I passed through the metal detector
  • Fat people - sorry, guys - we have a problem. I need to google the French Paradox - I ate therefore I was in France and I lost 8 lbs - WTF?
  • lanes wide enough to fit my SUV and a bit of weaving when the exaustion poked through

I am glad to be home even if I had to drive three hours after getting off the plane 24 hours from when I got up sometime in the distant past (yesterday, tommorow or today?). Thank you France for my recent addiction to coffee - it really helped me get home.

I hope you all enjoyed this - I am trying hard to have Logan finish his end of things. If you are really interested let us know if you want to see pics. But be very sure before you ask!

Love you all - Kim

1 comment:

  1. great blogging Kim - hope to see Logan give all of us who have followed THE TRIP his final thoughts on France and what it meant to come home. Mom & Dad, Grandpa & Grandma

    ReplyDelete