Friday, April 3, 2009

3 Weeks Left

hello,

I'm home sick right now, which sucks but everyone ges sick so its no big deal. Haven't gone to school the last two days because of it. I was actually going to go tody but Nathan's mom said no. It's funny because they are so intense here if you are sick. To me its just a little cold, like sore throat, cough, and a stuffed up nose. Nathans mom came in yesterday morning and i told her that i wasn't feeling well and shes like okay you stay home and i will call the doctor. I was like no its just a cold i dont think i need the doctor. The doctors must be pretty busy here if most people are like that. Went bowling last Sunday with a couple of friends. It was pretty fun. We played 3 games and the first game this kid Mike only got like 30 points, but then he won the next two games. Strange. Sundays are a pointless day here. Barely anything is open. Mcdonalds is closed on Sunday! Been busy with school for he rest of the week pretty much. Tuesdy we had a debate in History/Geography in English about if Turkey should be allowed into the Eurpean Union or not. I wason the against side and had no clue what i was talking about because I dont know anything about Turkey. After the debate the the teacher told me that if he had to give me a mark for that, it would be an A+. He said that even though i had no idea what i was saying tht i kept arguing even if it was wrong and didnt make sense. He thinks i should be a politician. I think not.

Its starting to get nice out again, hopfully it stays this way. The english teacher offerd us Canadians a plane ride over the dijon countryside for this weekend because herhusband is a pilot. I want to do it but im not sure if anyone else wants to. Hopefully we will. Earlier this week Nathans mom got mad at me at the dinner table because she didnt think i was trying hard enough. Even though i try to speak french at home but if someone speaks to me in english its hard to answer in French. She tol me that she doesnt evenknow why i would even come to France if I didnt want to try all the food and stuff. The only stuff that i havent tried that they have made is the pigs ear, and the pigs blood saussage. Sorry if thats not my thing. She keept complaining that she is cooking this different stuff so i will like it but i dont want her to do that. I want her to cook something French. Then she went on telling me that in Canada we dont cook, shes like, you cant cll that cooking, cooking is when you are in the kitchen preparing a meal for hours. I have never seen her in the kitchen cooking longer than an hour. Then she goes on by telling me that "Canada has no culture." She just kept on going saying that everything we hav was given to us by the Europeans or Americans and that we have no food of our own. Then shes like if you were at home and couldnt go out to the store and buy a packaged meal that you put in the microwave for 10 minutes like you guys always do in Canada, what would you cook? I was like uhh probably spagetti or somethingand shes like no if you had only flour and oil and stuff like that. I just said that i didnt know becuse i dont cook the meals and im only 16, then i went upstairs. So ive been trying to talk French for the last little while and now she says she is impressed with it. just 2 days ago she didnt think i new any French and now she is impressed with my French. Serves her right.

Toodaloo

3 comments:

  1. Nice to hear that speaking French is coming along nicely, how is reading French going? Grandma and I really enjoy reading your blog. Keep up the good work. Mom will be their before to long, so hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does she know I rely on the microwave so much? I will try and look up some canadian recipes and wow them at least once when I am there. Actually she is right about the cooking in this house at least. Thank her for all the home made meals - tell her how much you appreciate the cooking because your mom is no cook! Hang in there - I have sent you some emails about Canadian culture so you can debate the pro side - heehee. See you in 5 days! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. So did you get to go on the plane ride over the countryside? That sounds pretty cool.

    What about WW I and II historical sites? Have you been to any of those?

    And as for the Cdn cooking, I think it's probably fair to criticize our whole microwave/ fast food culture, but I don't think it's fair to characterize it as "Canadian." In fact, it could be offensive to aboriginal Canadians who have a variety of distinct food cultures. Think of Secwepemc salmon preparation and Indian ice cream -- sxusem.

    I'm glad to hear your French is coming along. Are you going to challenge French 11 when you get back? I think I signed you up for French 12 next year. :D

    ~Ms. Gillis

    ReplyDelete