Thursday, April 16, 2009

Kims Paris Top 10 lists

I am sorry to have lost touch with you all for so long but I have been busy seeing Paris. I get up at 6 each morning and walk to places I want to see - most parks open at 7. I buy breakfast at Pattiseries and fruit and juice at shops selling legumes (vegetables), then I hit whatever is open. Most churches are open at 6 am. I have so much to say but I am worried about boring you. I am on my 2nd memory card ( they hold 400 pics). I have thought of some Letterman Top 10 Lists that might make it more interesting.

Top 10 Things I learned in Paris on my First Day

10. When lines are long and getting longer ticket agents will choose that time to take a break. If there are only 1-2 persons in line there will be at least 4 agents - they drop like flies as the lines grow.
9. Every Man, woman and child here is georgeous and dressed to kill
8. If you are willing to try the language the world of Paris and every Parisian is at your feet -
prelude everything you say with "Je suis Canadian, Ma Français et trés térrible! With use, you get better from morning to 3pm and worse after that. If it is after midnight pretend you are a deaf mute.
7. The following ticket agents are immune to charm and don't care that you are trying: Louvre and Notre Dame but they see over 14 million visitors a year - cut them some slack.
6. Every rock, tree, shrub, street, sign, gate and building here is beautiful - your task is deciding where to begin, realizing you won't see it all and accepting that your pictures cannot bring Paris to your loved ones no matter how much you take but recording the bells of Vespers ringing at Notre Dame is a great touch.
5. You must wear comfortable shoes and use the Metro only when you are nearing collapse because around the next corner is something you are so glad you saw in person
4. Even I could have a boyfriend here - getting the once over from a Frenchman feels good
3. The reason french women come across cold and remote is that Frenchmen are satyrs and if you make the mistake of smiling they will converse, usually while holding your hand and smoking and are difficult to escape from - I will tell you about this later - I now discourage the once over by looking disinterestedly off in the distance - I feel so French!
2. The Eiffel Tower is Really Far from everything else - just because you can see it from your window doesn't mean it isn't a 15 kilometer round trip plus climbing stairs up and down the arch de Triomphe and Eiffel Tower (about 1000 stairs on day 1)
1. Do not tell your 16 year old how far things are - just show him the maps at the back of the guidebook (Lonely Planet Paris has my eternal love and devotion) and keep stopping to tell him everything you know about what he is looking at (I will never call historical romances brain candy again - they are currently my most accurate literary source according to most of the english speaking guides of Paris - that is why I am reading them..........of course). Oh, your 16 year old will not trust you after your first trip (especially when your walk takes you across 2 maps) so make sure he feels nothing but love and devotion to you by reminding him of your hours of labour (complete with pantomime) to deliver him into this world in the middle of Paris thoroughfares and promising an I LOVE PARIS shirt at the end of the journey.

I hope you are enjoying this. Eden and Teagan I love you!!!!!!!!!
Thanks mom and dad - yes mom, my camera will work - I bought the same one as Logan so all his parts will work for mine

Kim/Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment