Sunday, April 12, 2009

Beautiful and simple

After the chaos of CDG I made it to the RER for my trip into Paris. A commonality in Paris is that the sign for where you want to go dry up just before your destination leaving you walking in small circles with colorful commentary in busy pedestrian thoroughfares. Sort of like street theatre - I must remember my tin cup next time.

That just took me 15 minutes to type. The euro keyboard has the m and a, q and period switched. you have to hit shift to make a period. Hmmmm - must get used to it.

The best way to describe France or this area of France is the most overused word I have ever seen usd but now I know why: charmant (charming). THE HOMES ARE ALL IN STONE; SORRY FOR THE CAPS - did not know what I did - Nathan fixed it. Anyways, the homes are stone edifices with wrought iron terraces off bedroom windows and large wood or stone gates that encircle the jardins. It is rare to find manicured lawns - everything is profuse yet not messy. In Nathans yard his father, Philippe shows me herbs growing in differnt parts of the yard as they probably have for centuries. He is a wine lover and the wine I brought from Kelowna has not completelyimpressed although he is kind and will probably use it for cooking. He speaks only French and is very patient as I massacre his naive tongue. Helene is wonderful and so like me it is scary except for the food - too expensive but both she and I agree that organic should be the cheapest in order to change the world. She speaks alot of English although it is hard for her to understand me when I speak fast as happens when they are on the 3rd course and 3rd glass of wine.

Cheese, wine, food and historical achitecture are my first impressions. I went for a run yesterday around the village of Savigny le Sec, watched a man in an unmarked car deliver mail on Saturday, ran on the edge of a field so that my runners were coated with orange mud that made them 5 lbs heavier. I have come on an excellent weekend - Helenes(cant find the apostrophe) birthday and Paques (Easter). Have eaten like the queen I am and tried cheeses, pate de fois gras, brioche, quiche. Everything from scatch. Some cheeses are not to my taste but she is joyful that I will try everything more than once. I think that Logan scared her - she told me last night that she considered caling OSEF (exchange company) to find out if he was depressed - he has shown no interest in much and shows such joy at anything reminiscent of home (hamburgers) that they gave up forcing the issue after the trip South. It is interesting how he reports being so bored after this and made no connection to his behaviour.

We have visited the old part of Dijon and all the chocolateries to prepare for Easter. When we return we will see the dukes palace -Dijon is the seat of per for the dus of Bourgogne - said Bergen. Patisseries and chocolateries are not about food - they are about art. I have taken so many pictures of food.

Today we took a road trip and I got car sick going 130 km/hr on a road initially planned for horse and buggy that now sometimes fits 2 cars. But we saw 2 Chateaux - one 16th century and one 12th century. Here is what I came to see - a long history, portraits, fashions to laugh at, rooms of oppulance and poverty. Logan, to this time has shown no interest, but I put him in the story - married to a cold fish by 14 or someone he adored who dies in childbirth of something easily managed in our time - no windows, smoky, smelly and death, if war does not get him, at the grand old age of 45.

I cant wait for tomorrow - our first day and night in Paris - the day navigating te metro does not count (did I tell you that the train I was on reversed direction one stop before mine - argh).

ok - must go to sleep to ge ready for Paris

Kim

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself and are taking lots of pictures. Looking forward to hearing more as you explore Paris.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. do not be so hard on your 1st born - as a small wee child he ate everything. In addition, he was willing to spend all of his working money on this trip and he has gained in experience from all of the people he has come in contact with. He is 16 and he wants to do Paris with his Mom instead of going with all the others. Mom Enjoy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi it is Eden. I hope your having fun. I dont like writing on the computer. Im having fun with gram and gramp have fun love Eden

    ReplyDelete